Saturday, April 9, 2011

April 8 Update

I apologize that it's been so long since the last update. In some ways things not much has changed so there hasn't been much to share. Dad remains at the James to tackle his intestinal issues related to Ogilvie Syndrome.

Ogilvie syndrome, or acute colonic pseudo-obstruction (ACPO), is a clinical disorder with the signs, symptoms, and radiographic appearance of an acute large bowel obstruction but with no evidence of distal colonic obstruction. The colon may become massively dilated and must be "decompressed."
So, the past week or so has been spent trying different methods to decompress Dad's colon and get it back into action again. A procedure on Thursday went well and will likely be repeated on Monday.

I asked a nurse what would cause such a serious case of Ogilvie Syndrome and if it was a side effect of the chemo or being so ill or what. She said many chemo patients have gut problems, though Dad's case is unusual, and that if he had been well enough to leave the hospital and walk around it would likely be a different scenario. But, it's not a direct result of the chemo, and more likely from being so ill and essentially bedridden.

Dad has returned to dialysis treatments, but not for blood cleansing and only to remove fluid. (Sorry, I forget the particular name of it!)

I promise that I will keep you updated when things change.

1 comment: